If you are looking for a simple and tasty fish recipe that your children will actually eat, this is it! The kids in every class gobbled this up so quickly!
Easy Fish Pie (adapted from here.)
1 pound fish (We used cod, but it could easily be made with any fish)
2.5 cups milk + an extra splash of milk
8 large potatoes (Peeled and copped)
4 tbsp butter
2 cloves garlic (finely chopped or crushed)
1 cup peas (The joy of this recipe is that you could add corn, mushrooms, or any other veggies!)
A handful of grated cheese (you can use less or more, depending on your taste)
Salt and Pepper to taste
A pinch of paprika for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place the fish in an oven-proof dish, cover with the 2.5 cups of milk, and bake for 30 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through.
- Boil the potatoes until soft and drain. Add 2 tbsp of the butter, the splash of milk and the garlic. Mash or puree. (You can also use your favourite mashed potato recipe in the place of this!)
- When the fish is done drain the milk into a bowl and put aside. Flake the fish with a fork and leave in the dish.
- In another saucepan melt the remaining 2 tbsp of butter on a medium heat and slowly add the flour, stirring constantly until you get a smooth paste.
- Add the reserved “fish milk” a little bit at a time, stirring constantly, until you get a sauce-like consistency. Cook for 5 minutes, constantly stirring.
- Add the sauce to the flaked fish, add the peas, and mix well. Top with the mashed potato and spread evenly. Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly over the potato topping.
- Place back in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and slightly golden brown.
- Take out of the oven, sprinkle with paprika, and leave to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.