Our curriculum focuses on the healthy and whole development of each child across six different developmental domains:
- Cognitive abilities include: thinking, reasoning, understanding, estimating, problem-solving, expressing ideas, and more.
- If a child is thinking, he or she is developing cognition skills. Children are naturally programmed to learn and it shows in their curious nature.
- Our environment and program is designed to foster the development of cognition by giving the children a variety of materials to explore and experiment with, and by setting up activities which offer a reasonable mental challenge.
- Language skills include: vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation, and more.
- Children are expanding their language skills whenever they are talking or hearing people talk!
- Although language skills are actively being worked on at any given moment, our program further encourages children to practice their language skills through discussions, songs, fingerplays, and stories. Children are encouraged to voice their opinions and problems, and teachers actively model appropriate language when talking to the children.
- Emotional skills are comprised of two categories:
- Emotions: understanding and expressing feelings, empathy,
- Self-help skills: dressing and feeding one’s self, hygiene, and more.
- Life offers plenty of opportunities for practicing emotional skills and self-help skills, but educators encourage the continued development of these skills by modeling and reflecting on emotions, role-playing, and planning activities centered on health, hygiene, and emotions.
- Fine motor skills include writing, drawing, buttoning, cutting with scissors, and anything else that requires use of the small hand muscles.
- Children are partaking in fine motor movements almost consistently through the day, for instance when getting ready to go outside, drawing, building with lego, or playing games.
- Gross motor skills include big muscle movements such as running, dancing, hopping, jumping, and climbing.
- Children are naturally inclined to practice these skills, so our program focuses on making plenty of time, both indoor and outdoors, to practice them.