Sunnyside Daycare is built on the belief that children are capable and willing to direct their own learning. They are born with a natural curiosity, a need to experiment, and an urge to challenge themselves again and again, making them the perfect researchers! They learn best from hands-on experiences and it is our role – the adults – to provide them with a wide range of developmentally appropriate materials, activities, and environments in which to have them in.
- We believe in the power of play. What often looks as “just play” to us adults is the very basis of a child’s development. It is the primary way in which children learn.
- We believe in a science-based approach to early childhood development. We will always seek out the most reliable and up-to-date research on which to base our policies and practices.
- We believe in the importance of allowing kids to connect with nature; whether that means rolling in the grass or snow, investigating plants and bugs, playing in the puddles, or just reading a book under a tree.
- We believe in a community built on anti-bias values; a community that actively learns about, represents, and respects diversity in all its forms. And a community that actively points out and stands up against discrimination.
- We believe in a community built on trust between the children, their families, and the educators. A community of open and respectful discussion, which not only includes, but emphasizes the voices of children.