This recipe was a huge hit with both the kids and the staff! It tasted great and the amazing smell left us salivating while waiting for lunch!
Butter Chicken with Chickpeas
Modified from here.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Melt a few tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion and garlic, and cook slowly until the onion caramelizes to a dark brown, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile melt the remaining butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the tomato sauce, heavy cream, salt, cayenne pepper, and garam masala to the melte butter. Bringit all to a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium-low; cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then stir in caramelized onions and the chickpeas, and let them simmer a bit longer.
- While the sauce is simmering, toss cubed chicken breast with vegetable oil until coated, then season with tandoori masala and spread out onto a baking sheet.
- Bake chicken in preheated oven until no longer pink in the center, about 12 minutes. Once done, add the chicken to the sauce and simmer for 5 more minutes before serving.
Notes: We were able to get both of the seasonings, Garam Masala and Tandoori Masala, at Bulk Barn on Pierrefonds Boulevard, but thwey could probably be found in the ethnic aisle of the grocery store. You can also add cayenne pepper to the recipe should you want more of a kick.
We served it over rice and veggies, but this could be served with some delicious naan as well!