This was a great recipe that the kids LOVED! The children actually cheered when they realized they were having burgers. They sure were fooled by these healthy, meat-free burgers which were on whole wheat buns and topped with homemade coleslaw.
Healthy Lentil Burgers
Modified from here.
- 2 1/2 cups cooked lentils
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/4 cup diced bell pepper
- 1/8 cup bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- Your choice of seasonings. (We used some thyme and paprika, but you could add whatever herbs/spice you’d like!
Pulse lentils in a food processor until coarsely ground; transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add everything else to the lentils and mix. Divide the mixture into four equally sized portions, roll into balls, and flatten into patties.
Coat a baking sheet with non-stick spray and bake the patties at 350 degrees for 7-10 minutes each side.